The Falklands / by Jerry

6th March 2013

We left South Georgia on the evening of 28th and immediately hit rough seas, which left me lying in bed for two days feeling really ill whenever I got up. I managed a bit of movement after that, even helping in the kitchen peeling spuds, and was glad to find I wasn't the only one who had been suffering.

Arriving in the Falklands on the morning of the 4th I found the place to once again in warm sunshine and was grateful to be able to get ashore and go for a stroll into Stanley. It was great to be able to sit on the soft grass and eat an ice cream, watching the geese, ducks, vultures as well as a Caracara and flocks of bright red Long-tailed Meadowlarks that I didn't see when here in November.

This Caracara was stood with a vulture. That flew off as I approached, leaving this one to  carry a large bone away to what it decided was a safe distance before continuing to eat the scraps off it.
I'd been given a shopping list by Craig, Hannah and Steph, mainly consisting of snacks and souvenir tat. It was a little daunting going into a shop after 4 months leaving my wallet getting dusty in a drawer but I managed to restrain myself, aided by the paucity of truly fresh produce.

Blue sky and proper grass on the walk into Stanley.
Yesterday afternoon I got a lift to the Falklands dentist, a former BAS employee who had a look at a few x-rays and had a poke about in my mouth before giving me the options: a) whip that tooth out or b) undergo complicated lengthy surgery that may not resolve the problem. The first one was what everyone was recommending and sounded the most sensible, so I agreed to go through with it. I had thought the problem was an emerging wisdom tooth but it turns out it was nerve trouble in a molar with a massive filling.

Any anxiety was increased by the dentist and the ship's doc chatting about the various extraction tools out of my line of vision, but I must say all credit to the dentist – she pulled the tooth out quickly and cleanly with minimal pain and horrible crunching noises. I think I held my breath through the entire thing and as reward for being a brave boy was given a sticker and my tooth to take home in a tooth fairy bag.

So now I'm back on the boat with a big gap in my teeth yet feeling a lot more confident about being stranded in one of the most remote places I can be for the approaching winter.

Probable Peale's Dolphins seen from the boat on the way round to Mare harbour where we went to refuel.